The goals of our program are to provide you, the Intern, with valuable insight into various career paths, facilitate opportunities to make professional contacts, and equip you with marketable skills for future academic programs and employment opportunities in theatre and not-for-profit management. Our comprehensive program provides hands-on experience in theatre administration and production, through such features as our Signature Seminars, Signature Mentorship, and the In-House Meeting Swap.
A Signature Intern
A Signature intern will gain experience primarily through hands-on involvement in departmental or organizational projects and by participating in various day-to-day administrative duties. As a Signature intern, you are completely integrated into the daily functions of the company and are considered a vital member of our team. You will work closely with your department, participating in all department meetings, as well as all-staff events and special events.
Signature Seminars provide interns with the opportunity to deepen their engagement and gain exposure to skills outside their department. Many seminars are informal discussions with key Signature staff, including the Founding Artistic Director, Executive Director, Department heads, and others. In these sessions, interns may learn about staff members’ career trajectories, perspectives on the industry, and may gain insight into the exciting work happening at Signature. Other seminars take the form of workshops, in which staff members work interactively with interns to develop skills in resume and cover letter writing, fundraising, production management, and more.
Midway through your time at Signature, you will be paired with a mentor. Through check-ins with the Internship Coordinator, you will have the opportunity to discuss your interests and request specific mentors. The mentorship program is intended to help develop relationship-building skills and foster professional relationships that may last beyond your time here at Signature.
In-House Meeting Swaps
To accommodate any growing interests and curiosities developed as you uncover the various facets of Signature Theatre, we've added In-House Meeting Swaps to provide a direct look into the mechanics of each department, no matter your primary internship department. For example, if you're an Artistic Intern with a budding interest in fundraising, you will have the chance to sit-in on Development team meetings. Or, if you are a General Management Intern, and want to experience a Production meeting, you will be more than welcome to attend!
Benefits FOR a Signature Intern
As a Signature intern, you will receive a weekly reimbursement stipend. You may also receive school credit for your internship. You will also have the opportunity to attend Signature special events, including First Rehearsals, Invited Dress Rehearsals, Opening and Closing Nights, Signature Alumni Nights, and Staff and Artist Talkbacks.
In addition, interns will have the opportunity to reserve complimentary tickets to all Signature productions (restrictions apply), as well as complimentary and discounted tickets to shows and performances throughout New York City.
APPLICATION & DEADLINES
Internships are offered in Fall (September to December), Spring (January to May), and Summer (June to August) sessions. Full-time interns must be available for a minimum of 40 hours per week, while part-time interns must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. We will begin reviewing applications for the Fall session in July, for the Spring session in October, and for the Summer session in January.
A Complete Application:
To apply, please email completed applications to our Internship Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org. We prefer applications be sent as a single PDF file, including at least one letter of recommendation. If your recommendation provider prefers to submit the letter confidentially, please ask them to submit it via email, and to include your full name in the subject line.
Applications must include:
• Signature Internship Application Form, found below:
• Cover Letter
• At Least One Letter of Recommendation
• A Non-Creative Writing Sample of approximately 500 to 1000 words (required for Artistic and Literary Internships, only)
• An example of previous editing or film work (required for Digital Media Internships, only)
Interviews for internship positions are required. We strongly prefer in-person interviews, but can arrange for phone interviews, if necessary.
For more information, please refer to our detailed internship descriptions, and our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) below.
SIGNATURE THEATRE INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
Artistic interns assist, and learn from, the members of the Artistic Department by participating in all creative and administrative aspects of producing a season. Two full-time positions are available each session (Fall, Spring, Summer). Opportunities include exposure and education related to:
• General administrative assistance, as it relates to the Artistic team
• Updating Artistic calendars and documents
• Organization and upkeep of all Artistic files and archives
• Preparations for, and the execution of, supplemental programming and in-house Artistic events
• Assistance for Signature’s Playwrights-in-Residence, as needed
• Research, as it relates to Artistic needs
• Readings and performances throughout the city, as they relate to Signature’s Artistic department
Artistic interns will need to be available for all rehearsals, tech rehearsals, and preview performances. Opportunities may include running lines, on-book duties, and creative team assistance. Artistic interns will likely have an irregular schedule, including evening and weekend hours.
Ideal Artistic candidates will have a strong background in theatre, excellent research, writing, and analytical skills, and strong computer and organizational skills. A non-creative writing sample must be submitted with all Artistic and Literary internship applications.
BUSINESS MANAGEMENT INTERN:
The Business Management Intern will work closely with the Business Manager and Controller, while this internship will provide a focus on the fiscal management of the whole organization.
• Fiscal operations, processes, and controls
• Assisting in nearly all reconciliations including bank, petty cash, box office, credit card, contributed income, and concessions
• Day-to-day data management including data entry, invoicing, and maintaining vendor files
• Preparing materials and assisting the Finance Department in any audits
• Assisting in office operations, including the tracking and ordering of supplies from approved vendors
• Assisting the Finance department on specialized tasks and projects, as needed
Ideal candidates will be available full-time, including occasional evening or weekend events.
Candidates should be computer and Internet savvy, be able to work independently, and exhibit an enthusiasm and drive for finance and/or non-profit theatre management.
COMPANY MANAGEMENT INTERN:
Company Management interns work closely with the Company Management team, while reporting directly to the Company Manager. This internship provides opportunities for exposure and education related to:
• House seats, other company ticketing requests, and special event RSVPs
• Attending to the needs of artists, and providing show coverage
• Securing travel and accommodations
• Planning and executing special events, including first rehearsal meet & greets, Alumni nights, and closing events
• Agent correspondence, contract drafting, and handling of payments
• Maintenance of production files and other administrative tasks, as they relate to Company Management
Ideal candidates will have a warm personality, a genuine enthusiasm for theatre, and solid organizational, communication, and time-management skills. Ideal candidates will also be detail-oriented and proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Tessitura, or other ticketing experience, is a plus.
The Company Management internship is a full-time position with some evening/weekend hours required.
DIGITAL MEDIA INTERN:
Digital Media interns work most closely with the Digital Media Associate, and other members of the Marketing Department. This internship provides insight into all aspects of multimedia content, with exposure and education related to:
• The shooting and editing of video content
• Photo shoot assistance, and coordination of artists
• Translation of digital media efforts to social networking, and other online platforms
• Conversion of existing assets to digital formats
• Tracking results of digital media efforts
Ideal candidates will have an interest, and some experience, in video production/editing. Candidates must be comfortable working independently and meeting deadlines. Knowledge of Final Cut Pro 7, Adobe After Effects, and Adobe CS5 are preferred. Knowledge of HTML is not required, but is a plus.
Please submit an example of previous editing, or film work, with your application.
As a member of the Development Department, the Development Intern will gain practical experience and exposure to both Individual and Institutional Giving, Special Projects (Signature Ticket Initiative, etc.), and Special Events. The Development Intern will work closely with members of Signature’s Development Team on a variety of projects and events throughout the Signature Season. This internship provides opportunities for exposure and experience in:
• Prospect cultivation and donor stewardship
• Building a working knowledge and proficiency in Tessitura
• Conducting individual, institutional, and corporate donor and prospect research using Industry Databases
• Supporting the Department with all cultivation and Organization-wide events.
Responsibilities may include:
o Managing the Special Events Hotline and tracking RSVP’s for Opening Night Performances.
o Liaising with catering and other vendors and assisting with day-of event execution
o Shadowing Event Leaders
o Working check in for multiple high profile events
Providing administrative support to and working with a growing department, managing a variety of projects:
o Assisting in the execution of mailings and appeals
o Facilitating invitation mailings
o Maintaining departmental files
Ideal candidates will be comfortable with Microsoft Office, and possess excellent writing and interpersonal skills. Experience in the hospitality industry, or in customer service, is a plus. Ideal candidates will be self-motivated, and prepared to thrive in a fast-paced, exciting environment.
The Development internship is a full-time position with some evening/weekend hours required.
GENERAL MANAGEMENT INTERN:
The General Management Intern works closely with all members of the General Management team. This internship provides a focus on company management for the not-for-profit theatre.
Opportunities include exposure and education related to:
• Assisting Company Management with artist services by attending to the needs of artists and providing show coverage
• Booking house seats, other company ticketing requests and special event rsvp’s
• Assisting Company Management with securing artist travel and accommodations
• Support in planning and executing special events including first rehearsal meet & greets, Alumni nights, and closing events
• Artist agent correspondence, contract drafting, and handling of payments
• Maintaining production files and other departmental administrative tasks
• Working with other departments on organizing and maintaining the playbill for each show
Candidates should have a warm personality, a genuine enthusiasm for theatre and solid communication, organizational, and time-management skills. Some evening and weekend work may be required. Candidates should be detail-oriented and proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook). Tessitura, or other ticketing experience, is a plus.
Literary interns assist, and learn from, the Literary Director, Literary Associate, and Literary Fellow. Opportunities include exposure and education related to:
• Content creation for Signature’s Magazine, multimedia and lobby displays, website, and supplemental materials
• Maintenance of the script database
• Assistance for supplemental programming events
• Script reading and evaluation
• Coverage of outside productions
• Maintenance of Signature’s Playwright-in-Residence research archive
• Management of additional Literary archival materials
• Script supervision throughout the rehearsal process
Ideal Literary candidates will have a strong background in theatre, excellent research, writing, and analytical skills, and strong computer and organizational skills. A non-creative writing sample must be submitted with all Artistic and Literary internship applications.
Marketing interns work closely with the whole Marketing team. This internship provides a focus on marketing for not-for-profit theatre, and provides opportunities for exposure and education related to:
• Planning and implementation of production and seasonal marketing strategies
• Research and identification of new audiences
• Maintenance of press and photo archives
• Maintenance and updating of database and website content
• Assembly and implementation of mailings
• Implementation and execution of social media campaigns
• Execution of special events and supplemental programs
Ideal candidates will have excellent writing and organizational skills, and demonstrate a high comfort level with the Internet and web-based content. Knowledge of Tessitura, or other Box Office software, is a plus.
PRODUCTION MANAGEMENT INTERN:
Production Management interns work closely with the Production Management team. This internship provides a focus on the management aspect of technical production elements. Opportunities for exposure and education are related to:
• Coordination and execution of technical aspects for all Signature productions
• Coordination and execution of technical aspects for special events and rentals
• Cross-departmental workflow with General Management and Company Management
•Administrative support, related to facilitating logistics and technical needs for all rehearsals and performances
Ideal candidates will have a strong interest in hands-on production work, especially in Off-Broadway theatre. Ideal candidates will also possess excellent communication and organizational skills, with a high level of comfort working independently.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What internships does Signature offer?
We offer internships in the following areas, although availability of positions will vary: Artistic, Company Management, Digital Media, Development/Special Events, Finance, General Management, Literary, Marketing, and Production Management.
Do I need to submit a writing sample with my application?
Writing samples are required only for Artistic and Literary internships.
What kind of writing sample should I submit?
Your writing sample should be critical in nature, non-creative, and ideally between 500 and 1000 words. Examples may include a short essay, article, or review. We ask you please refrain from submitting creative writing samples, including short stories and excerpts.
What is the best time to submit my application?
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis; however, we will begin reviewing applications for the Fall in July, for the Spring in October, and for the Summer in January.
Do the internships have exact start and end dates?
All start and end dates are flexible. We do ask to please indicate your availability in your cover letter or application form.
Do I need previous experience?
Not necessarily; we are looking for candidates who have demonstrated a strong interest in theatre, either in school or professionally. Signature interns possess a wide variety of skills, backgrounds, and experience.
Are the internships full- or part-time?
We offer both full-time and part-time internships. Our administrative office hours are Monday-Friday from 10am - 6pm.
Full-time interns must be available to work a minimum of 40 hours per week, while part-time interns must be available for a minimum of 20 hours per week.
During the Production Season, Artistic, Production Management, and Company Management interns will be expected to participate in, and assist with, rehearsals and performances outside of regular office hours.
Are stipends, academic credit, and/or housing available?
Signature interns receive a weekly stipend, and may obtain academic credit. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide housing.
What if I have additional questions?
Please email any questions you may have to our Internship Coordinator at email@example.com. We look forward to hearing from you!
IMAGE: Bill Heck in The Orphans' Home Cycle by Horton Foote. Photo by Gregory Costanzo.