Signature Theatre's Fellowship Program is a paid, part-time professional development program for those looking to grow their experience as arts administrators. Fellows will work closely with their department on day-to-day tasks and long-term projects in support of Signature's mission of providing an artistic home to storytellers. Signature's Fellowship Program emphasizes continued workplace education, with a focus on mentorship, customized goal setting, cross-departmental learning, and conversations with experts in the field.
On June 3rd, we hosted a Fellowship Program Information Session
. If you missed it or want to hear the conversation one more time, follow this link to head to our YouTube channel
Fellowship Fast Facts
- Fellowships follow Signature's production calendar and typically run September-June
- Fellows are compensated $18/hour for up to 30 hours of work a week and receive a monthly unlimited MetroCard
- Each fellow has access to a $500 playgoing fund
- Fellows attend regular lunch-and-learns with Signature staff members and artists
- Professional development workshops and networking opportunities are shared and encouraged
Applications are now open for the 2022-23 Fellowship Cohort. We are accepting applicants for the Artistic, Management, and Content & Engagement Fellowships. Information about the program can be found below.
Applications will be accepted through Signature's job portal by following this link and close at 11:59pm on Friday, June 17, 2022.
We strongly encourage applicants to apply for multiple departments if they are interested in more than one opportunity. If you are interested in multiple departments, please submit separate responses to the first short answer question in the application. You do not need to write separate responses for the second or third questions.
Signature Theatre 2022-2023 Fellowships At A Glance
The Artistic Fellow will work closely with the Artistic Department and Signature's contracted casting director to provide production, literary, and casting assistance. The fellow will also help to support special initiatives developed by the Artistic team. Regular projects include assisting with dramaturgical needs and lobby display materials, organizing and attending casting sessions, assistant producing special events and readings, overseeing artistic databases, and providing script coverage. Artistic Fellows will also be included in conversations regarding Signature's season planning and playwright selection processes. This fellowship requires occasional evening hours. Click here for a full job description.
The Management Fellow will work as a member of the General Management team and peripherally with Signature's Finance team to provide general operational support for Signature productions, rentals, and special projects. The fellow will work closely with the team to maintain production calendars; prepare and file contracts, payments, and reports; and support general day-to-day administrative duties. The fellow will have the opportunity to learn about theatrical unions, AEA, SDC, USA, and 802. The fellow will also learn about rental management by assisting the General Management team on client correspondence, paperwork, and event execution. The fellow will work collaboratively with the Finance department to carry out tasks and may also complete special projects in the Finance department as needed/interested. Click here for a full job description.
Content & Engagement Fellow
The Content & Engagement Fellow will work with Signature's marketing team to support content creation and communications for community engagement with the Signature community. The fellow will have the opportunity to pitch and create original content, take part in key components of early execution of Signature's new brand, and develop content for community engagement. The fellow will also participate in regular meetings with Signature's artistic team to discuss season planning and promotion, and they will assist in the creation of various multimedia assets featuring Signature artists. Other responsibilities include assisting in copy editing and marketing campaign needs, as well as supporting content and engagement needs for Signature's community nights and SigSpace initiatives. This fellowship requires occasional evening hours. Click here for a full job description.
Application and Timeline
1. Why are you interested in working at Signature as the Artistic, Management, and/or Content & Engagement Fellow? What skills and experiences will you bring to this role? What skills and experiences are you hoping to gain upon completing the fellowship? (If you are interested in more than one department, write a separate answer for each one).
Signature's Fellowship Program application includes a resume and three short answer questions. No cover letter, references, or letters of recommendation are required.
Resumes should focus on meaningful experiences and outline responsibilities and achievements. They can include professional, academic and/or personal pursuits. Resumes should not exceed one page. The short answer questions are as follows; each answer should not exceed 250 words:
2. Please share details of a challenging moment you have had during a moment of collaboration. How did you handle the challenge, and what did you learn from the experience?
3. What was an experience that shaped your views about theatre and inspired your interest in working in the arts?
Signature's Fellowship Program requires no previous work or educational experience for participation. Fellow selection will be based on demonstrable interest and commitment to a career in the arts with an ability to articulate how a fellowship at Signature will help the fellow learn and grow into the future leader they would like to become.
Application Opens: Monday, May 9th, 2022
Application Closes: Friday, June 17th, 2022
Candidate Interviews: Late June through early July 2022
Candidate Offers: By August 1st, 2022
Fellowship First Day: Tuesday, September 6th, 2022
Fellowship Last Day: Friday, June 30th, 2023
Looking for more? Click below to check out some FAQ's.
- Familiarize yourself with Signature's artists, programming, staff, and mission, available on our website
- Think through artists and works that excite you -- ones you have seen, heard, and/or read
- Think through your personal strengths and areas where you are looking to grow your knowledge further through an opportunity like this fellowship