Signature Theatre, one of New York’s leading off-Broadway theatres, is seeking a Technical Director to join the production team and report to the Director of Production and Facilities.
Founded in 1991, Signature Theatre celebrates playwrights and gives them an artistic home, producing six to eight productions annually. In 2005, Signature began its groundbreaking Signature Ticket Initiative, providing subsidized, affordable tickets to all of its productions. In 2012, Signature opened the Pershing Square Signature Center, the Frank Gehry-designed 75,000 square foot Center featuring three theatres, two rehearsal studios, a central, public lobby with a café and bookstore, as well as administrative offices. The center is not only home to Signature’s productions but also rentals throughout the calendar year. In FY19, over 150 different productions and events rented space in the center.
Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theatre field and aligning with Signature theatre’s institutional goals and priorities focused on playwrights, community and access are strongly encouraged to apply.
Signature is committed to Equity, Diversity, Inclusion, and Accessibility and welcomes candidates who have demonstrable experience advocating for underrepresented communities. Please read our commitment to creating a theatre focused on EDIA here: https://www.signaturetheatre.org/About.aspx
Signature Theatre seeks a detail-oriented, collaborative Technical Director who, in conjunction with Signature Theatre’s production and artistic departments, supports the directors’ and designers’ vision and maintains Signature Theatre’s high artistic and production standards. The successful Technical Director will demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills working within a high-performance environment. This is a temporary non-exempt position.
We are looking for someone who possesses:
- Broad knowledge of construction techniques as they relate to technical designs
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with an eye to detail
- Ability to convey technical information to a non-technical audience
- Excellent written/communication/interpersonal skills to support smooth interactions with internal and external clients
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Work with designers to realize designs in quickly and efficiently while keeping an eye towards fiscal responsibility
- Maintain clear communication within the production department to ensure successful integration of a project’s technical elements
- Attend all design presentations, meetings, and run-throughs as designated by the production manager
- Estimate, track labor and design costs for each production and advise artistic production management of the potential consequences of proposed changes
- Provide supervision for load-in and work calls during the production process coordinating activity with other department heads
- Responsible for the hiring and management of over hire as needed
- Maintain clean and safe work practices throughout the Center, its theatres and support spaces
How to apply: Please email a cover letter and resume, with references and salary requirements, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please type ‘Technical Director’ in the subject line. No phone calls, please.
All applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, creed, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sex, sexual orientation, affectional preference, gender identity or expression, sexual and reproductive health decisions, pregnancy, disability, genetic predisposition, age, military or veteran status, marital or familial status, or any other protected characteristic, in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.